Want to set your newly purchased printer as the default printer in your Windows 10 PC? Windows 10 has a nice feature that automatically sets the most recent connected or used printer as the default. You might also love this feature; if you have a single printer because when you connect it to your computer, Windows 10 chooses it as the default automatically. But, this could also be troublesome for those who use multiple printers with their PC. If you also want to set the default printer manually, then you have to disable the feature first. After that, you can choose the default printer of your choice.
Here is how to change or set a printer as the default printer in Windows 10.
How to disable Windows 10 from selecting default printer automatically
The feature is enabled by default in Windows 10 computers. It means the Windows has the permission to manage your default printer. Every time you connect a printer with your PC, Windows sets it as the default. You can disable the feature if you want it to not happen and set default printer manually. Here is how.
1. Open Windows 10 Settings. You can open Settings from the Start menu by clicking on the gear icon at the bottom.
2. Go to ‘Devices’ section.
3. From there open ‘Printers & Scanners’ settings. You’ll find this in the left menu.
4. Now, click and uncheck the box of “Let Windows manage my default printer.”
5. Close the settings.
Once you complete all the steps, the feature will get disabled and you’ll be able to change and set the default printer manually.
How to change or set a default printer from Settings in Windows 10
1. Open Windows 10 Settings.
2. Go to ‘Devices’ section.
3. From there, open ‘Printers & Scanners’ settings.
4. Under ‘Printers & Scanners’ heading on the right, name of the printers and scanners connected to your computer are shown.
5. Click on the printer name you want to set as the default.
6. Some options will show up, click the ‘Manage’ button.
7. Then select ‘Set as default’ option to set it as your default printer.
Now, the selected default printer will be used when you print any document from your Windows 10 computer.
How to change or set default printer from Control Panel in Windows 10
1. Open Windows 10 Control Panel. Searching for ‘Control Panel’ with the Start or Taskbar search field is the simplest way to open it.
2. In the Control Panel windows, click the ‘View by’ text near the upper right corner.
3. And select ‘Small icons’ to change the view.
4. Click on ‘Devices and Printers’ settings. You may find it in the first column, and it will open a new window with your installed printers and devices list.
5. Under Printers section, find the printer you want to set as default, and right-click on its icon.
6. Select ‘Set as default printer’ from the options.
Your chosen printer is now your default printer. When you print anything from your PC, the print will come out from the default printer.
How to change or set a default printer using an App in Windows 10
In Windows 10, you can also change the default printer right from the app that supports Print option, such as Notepad, WordPad, Paint and other. Here is how to set the default printer by using an Application.
1. Open a program that supports print option, like Notepad.
2. When it opens, enter the print command “Ctrl + P.” This will immediately open the print window. Alternatively, click on the ‘File’ tab and select ‘Print’ to open the print window.
3. In General, right click on the printer name that you want to set as default.
4. And select ‘Set as Default Printer.’
Now, the prints you print from your Windows 10 PC will come out from the default printer.
So, these three are the simplest ways to change or set a default printer in Windows 10 computers.
Hey I am Enne Garcia a certified technical professional for mcafee with over five years of experience. If you face any issue regarding your mcafee.com/activate then can help in all sorts of problem and get instant solution from mcafee Experts in a small time period.